I am a middle and high school teacher with seven years of experience in the classroom. Additionally, I have 8 years of experience in engineering and the IT industry. My specialties in the classroom include integrating hands-on technology learning and creating exciting standards-based tasks.
I am fully certified at the T-5 level in Mathematics (6-12) and Physics (6-12) in Georgia.
Instructor & IT Coordinator
August 2004 – present Chrysalis Experiential Academy
- Trigonometry & Pre-calculus, Geometry, Pre-algebra, Physics, Programming, Systems Administration, Digital Imaging, and others.
- Passed GACE content area tests for Mathematics I & II
- Named an 11 Alive Class Act Teacher for 2008
- Created “Physics of Superheroes” curriculum.
- Earned Microsoft Certified Professional with the Windows XP exam, 70-270 in summer 2006.
- Subject areas: Technology, physics, math for middle and high school.
- Create curriculum for technology education. Classes range from keyboarding for middle school students through programming and system administration for high school students with an emphasis on connections between technology and other course work.
- Managed an IT infrastructure of 100 users, 30 computers, and a Microsoft server.
Technical writer, interactive marketer and quality assurance
Jun. 2000 – Apr. 2004 SecureWorks, Inc
- Webmaster: Maintained www.secureworks.com. Major update in 2004 doubled referrals from Google in less than a month. Handed off about 20 sales inquiries per month generated by the website. Created an RSS feed to highlight new content (real content, not promotional stuff) that brought in about 100 visitors per month.
- Editor: Published Security Briefing e-newsletter. Added 3000 subscribers, published eight custom versions per month, and generated about five sales leads each month. Issues averaged about 5% of readers click through on a link, with a high of 15%. Gave away lead stories to other publications for increased exposure.
- Edited and contributed to the Zero Effect security blog. Managed a blogging team of five.
- Managed e-mail marketing program. In compliance with CAN-SPAM legislation, I marketed only to those who’ve opted in to SecureWorks lists (about 1000 marketing suspects). Response rates averaged 5%. I designed all creative, wrote the copy, and delivered the mails.
- Quality Assurance: Tested an in-house Linux security appliance and web configuration interface. Developed test cases, managed their execution.
- Technical Writer: Created end user, software process, and internal training documentation.
Engineer, trainer, technical writer
Dec. 1996-Jun. 2000 DVT Corp.
- Writer: First technical writer hired by company. Designed and produced printed and electronic documentation. Much writing still in use.
- Trainer: Designed and taught online and in person, thebulk of which is still in use.
- Application Solver: Worked with customers to automate inspection of manufactured goods. Learned about PLC programming, sensors, and manufacturing lines.
- User interface designer: Suggested user interface enhancements.
Master of Arts in Teaching Secondary Mathematics
December 2009 Georgia State University
- 3.85 GPA
- Outstanding Graduate
- Jerry Robbins Scholarship
- TEEMS After Dark student: simultaneously teaching and attending State full-time
Bachelor of Materials Engineering
August 1996 Auburn University
- 3.4 GPA in Materials Engineering
- Graduated with honors; named the department’s Outstanding Student
- Taught physics lab courses while in the undergraduate program (a rare occurrence)
- Earned the top score in Technical Writing course as a senior
- Coordinated a summer engineering program for minority high school students
Operating Systems: Windows (MCP on XP), Linux, Unix
Desktop Software: Microsoft Office, Quark Xpress, Adobe InDesign, OpenOffice, Visio
Development Tools: CVS, bash shell, DocBook
Business: Website search engine optimization, usability, e-mail marketing, QA
Industry Knowledge: Internet security, mechanical drawing (CAD), education, factory automation
This page last updated on February 22, 2010.